- Home /
- Engineering & Physical Sciences /
- Research Institutes /
- Biological Chemistry, Biophysics and Bioengineering /
- Academic staff /
- Will Wenmiao Shu
Will Wenmiao Shu MIEEE, FHEA
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences; Biological chemistry,Biophysics & Bioengineering
James Nasymth Building
- School of Engineering & Physical Sciences; Biological chemistry,Biophysics & Bioengineering
- Heriot-Watt University
- EH14 4AS
- United Kingdom
Roles and responsibilities
- B51EM1 Advanced Mechanics of Materials: Biomechanics
- B58EC1/D2 Mechical Engineering Sciences 3 & 4: Strength of Material Labs
- B51RA2 Advanced Reading
- B55HB3 Engineering Analysis Assignments: Year 4 Projects
Dr Shu's current research activities explore the new possibilities enabled by MEMS and Nanotechnology and the interfaces with life sciences. His research interests focus on MEMS-based Biosensors, Lab-on-a-chip Systems and 3D Biofabrication. His research group-Biomedical Microengineering Group develops innovative micro and nanotechnologies for point of care diagnostics, quantitative biology, synthetic biology and personalised medicine.
Biomedical Microengineering Group
Visit the Biomedical Microengineering Group (BMG) website
What's new: Updated news for Dr Shu's group.
- Shu, W., Laurenson, S., Knowles, T.P.J., Ferrigno, P.K., Seshia, A.A., "Highly Specific Label-free Protein Detection from Lysed Cells using Internally Referenced Microcantilever Sensors" Biosensors & Bioelectronics. 24(2), 233-237 (2008).
- Knowles, T., Shu, W. , Hubert, F., Lang, H.-P., Dobson, C. M., Welland, M. E., “Label-free Detection of Amyloid Growth using Microcantilever Sensors” Nanotechnology, 19, 384007 (2008).
- Zhou, F., Biesheuvel, P., Choi, E.Y., Shu, W., Poetes, R., Steiner, U. and Huck W.T., "Polyelectrolyte Brush Amplified Electroactuation of Microcantilevers." Nano Letters. 8(2), 725-730 (2008)
- Knowles, T.P.J., Shu, W., Devlin, G.L., Meehan, S., Auer, S., Dobson, C.M. and Welland M.E., "Kinetics and Thermodynamics of Amyloid Formation from Direct Measurements of Fluctuations in Fibril Mass " Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 104(24), 10016 - 10021 (2007)
- Shu, W., Laue, E.D. and Seshia, A. A. "Investigation of Biotin-Streptavidin Binding Interactions using Microcantilever Sensors", Biosensors & Bioelectronics. 22(9), 2003-2009 (2006)
- Zhou F., Shu, W., Welland, M.E., Huck, W.T. "Highly Reversible and Multi-Stage Cantilever Actuation Driven by Polyelectrolyte Brushes" Journal of the American Chemical Society, 128(16), 5326-5327. (2006)
- Shu,W., Everett, W.N., Zhang, Q.X., Liu, M.H., Trigg, A., Spearing, S.M., Wang, S., Sue, H.-J., Moran, P.M. "Microheated Substrates for Patterning Cells and Controlling Development", IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 14(5), 924-934, (2005)
- Shu,W., Liu,D., Watari, M., Riener, C.K. , Strunz, T., Welland, M. E. , Balasubramanian, S., McKendry, R.A. "DNA Molecular Motor Driven Micromechanical Cantilever Arrays" Journal of the American Chemical Society, 127(48), 17054-17060. (2005)
- Shu, W., "Microcantilever-based sensors and actuators", VDM Verlag, Germany, (2008) Available from Amazon
Dr. ‘Will’ Wenmiao Shu is a Reader in Microengineering at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh. After his PhD and postdoctoral work at Cambridge University, he joined as a lecturer in 2007 then promoted to Reader in 2012 at School of Engineering and Physical Sciences at Heriot-Watt University. He is the group leader of the Biomedical Microengineering Group at Heriot-Watt University, now part of the Institute of Biological Chemistry, Biophysics and Bioengineering. His research interests cover a range of biomedical microengineering topics including biosensors, lab-on-a-chip, 3D biofabrication, synthetic biology, regenerative medicine and micro/nanodevices. He is a fellow of the Higher Education Academy UK, fellow of Cambridge Overseas Society, founding member of RSE Young Academy, member of IEEE, EMBS and SPIE.
- 2006 Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Cambridge University
- 2002 M.S., Advanced Materials, Singapore-MIT Alliance
- 1998 B.Eng. Polymer Materials, Dalian University of Technology
- Lecturer in Microengineering, Heriot-Watt University
- Jesus College Research Associate, Cambridge University
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Cambridge University
- Senior Research Officer, Institute of Materials Research & Engineering
- Research Assistant, Institute of Microelectronics
- Research Assistant, National University of Singapore